Parliament, Wednesday, 26 August 2020 – Parliament will hold a hybrid 2020 Women’s Parliament on Friday 28 August to receive feedback on undertakings President Cyril Ramaphosa made during the joint sitting debate on Gender Based Violence.
The 2020 Women’s Parliament will be held under the theme: “Generation Equality: Advancing our collective efforts to end Gender Based Violence and Femicide.”
Some of the key undertakings made by the President includes:
- necessary amendments to laws and policies to be undertaken, in order to ensure that perpetrators of gender-based violence are brought to book.
- making substantial additional funding available for a comprehensive package of interventions to make an immediate and lasting difference.
- implementing decisions of the Presidential Summit on Gender-based Violence and Femicide.
- implementing the National Strategic Plan on GBV.
- ensuring the implementation of the GBV Emergency Action Plan, which was implemented by the Interim Steering Committee located in the Presidency and co-chaired by government and civil society organizations
Furthermore, the session will also be a platform to receive action plans to be undertaken over the next 12 months.
DETAILS OF THE HYBRID SESSION:
Date: Friday, 28 August 2020
Venue: National Assembly Chamber, Parliament and the virtual platform
Members of the media who do not have Parliamentary media access permits and who wish to be in the press gallery of the National Assembly Chamber for the session should send their details to Ms Masego Dlula, ( firstname.lastname@example.org or
081 715 9398 Before 12:00 midday, THURSDAY 27 AUGUST).
Details needed are full name, ID or passport number, name of media organization and contact number.
Members of the public may follow sittings live on Parliament TV (DSTV Channel 408), via live stream on Parliament YouTube channel and Twitter page on the links below. You may subscribe to the Parliament YouTube channel to receive instant notification of live feeds.
ISSUED BY THE PARLIAMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Enquiries: Moloto Mothapo 082 370 6930