How do I contact South African Representatives (I.e. embassies, high commissions, etc) abroad?
For more information go to the Department of International Relations and Cooperation website.

How do I download files to my PC?
When using Internet Explorer as your browser -
With your mouse, RIGHT click on the link to the document you want to save.
In the drop down menu choose "Save Target As…"
In the "Save As" window choose the location on your hard drive where you want to save the document and click on the SAVE button.
The file will be downloaded at the location you have specified.
If it is a .pdf document open your Acrobat Reader application and open the document you have downloaded.

How do I open a document that is in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format?
To preserve the original layout of the documents it is presented in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.

To open the documents you need to have the Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.
The Acrobat Reader will open the documents directly in your browser.
Go to the Adobe Acrobat Reader download site and follow the instructions to install the reader.

How do I access the Government Gazette?
The Gazette is an official Government publication. Government uses it to publish acts and bills, regulations and notices in terms of acts, changes of names, company registrations and deregistrations, financial statements, land restitution notices, liquor licence applications and transport permits. Board and legal notices are also published in the Gazette; these cover insolvencies, liquidation and estate notices. Click here to access the latest Government Gazettes.

How do elections work?
Visit the web site of the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC)

I want to visit SA. Where do I find information?
The South African Tourism web site provides information on tourist attractions, destinations, contact information and links.

Where do I apply for a work permit/visa for South Africa?
The South African Department of Home Affairs is responsible for administering work permits/visas.

Where do I find information on South African history?
A broad overview of South Africa from the time of its earliest inhabitants to the birth of the new democratic South Africa is provided in the South African Yearbook. Historical documents may be obtained from the National Archives of South Africa.

Where do I find information on public holidays?
Click here for more information on South African public holidays.

Where do I find information on the National Symbols?
Click here for more information on South Africa's National Symbols

Where do I find more information on obtaining a visa to visit South Africa, a permanent residence permit or a temporary residence permit?
Information on how to acquire these documents are available on the web site of the Department of Home Affairs.

Where do I find the contact details for:

Where do I find the school calender?
School calender

Where do I obtain electronic and printed copies of bills and acts?
Only Bills currently in Parliament and recent Acts are accessible on this website.

Bills from 1993 onwards can be accessed on

Printed (hard copy) Bills and Acts not older than 3 years are available from the Government Printing Works at minimal cost. The contact information is:
Tel: (012) 334 4741/4560
Street address: 149 Bosman Street, Pretoria

Printed (hard copy) Bills and Acts older than 3 years are available from the National Library of South Africa:

Pretoria Campus
Tel: 012 401 9700
Fax: 012 325 5984
Street Address: 228 Johannes Ramokhoase Street, Pretoria
(Public Entrance: 75 Thabo Sehume Street)
Postal Address: Private Bag X990, Pretoria, 0001, South Africa

Cape Town Campus
Tel: 021 424 6320
Fax: 021 423 3359
Street Address: 5 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town
Postal Address: P.O Box 496, Cape Town, 8000, South Africa