Parliament, Thursday, 2 September 2021 – The Chairperson of the Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence (JSCI) Mr Jerome Maake has, on behalf of the committee, announced the extension of applications for the position of the Inspector-General of Intelligence (IGI).
Section 7 of the Intelligence Services Oversight Act 40 of 1994 provides that:
- The Inspector-General will monitor intelligence and counter-intelligence activities of the State Security Agency and the intelligence divisions of South African Police Service and the South African National Defence Force.
- The Inspector-General shall be accountable to the JSCI and responsible to the President and relevant ministers.
- The candidate shall be a South African citizen who is fit and proper to hold such office and who has knowledge of intelligence.
- The candidate shall be required to undergo all the processes required to obtain a top security clearance, and shall serve impartially and independently, and perform his or her functions in good faith and without fear, favour, bias or prejudice.
- The remuneration and conditions of service of the Inspector-General are determined by the President with the concurrence of the JSCI.
On 31 August 2021, the committee noted the number of inquiries received after the closing date of 30 July 2021 at 16:00, as indicated in various national and local newspapers. Cognisant of the importance of the position and the inquiries received from the public, the committee resolved to extend the closing date to enable those who missed the advertisement an opportunity to apply for the position.
Those who previously applied prior to the due date and time should not reapply, as their applications will be considered. Interested candidates are requested to submit a detailed motivation and curriculum vitae to the Parliament of the Republic of South Africa, accompanied by certified copies of their identity document document and qualifications, for the attention of Ms Alutho Sombexe: Committee Coordinator (Stand – In) by Email: email@example.com. Telephonic enquiries: 021 403 2793 or 083 709 8432.
Applicants must please note that they will be subjected to qualifications check and top-secret security clearance. Late submissions will not be considered. Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. Applicants who receive no response within two months of closing date are requested to deem their application as unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 30 September 2021
ISSUED BY PARLIAMENTARY COMMUNICATION SERVICES ON BEHALF OF THE CHAIRPERSON OF THE JOINT STANDING COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE, MR JEROME MAAKE.
For media enquiries, please contact the committee’s Media Officer:
Name: Ms Faith Ndenze
Parliamentary Communication Services
Tel: 021 403 8062
Cell: 081 377 0686