The National Council of Provinces’ (NCOP) Taking Parliament to the People programme concluded on Friday with a high-level debate led by President Cyril Ramaphosa, as premiers from four provinces reflected on service delivery challenges, governance interventions and infrastructure development in their respective regions.

Premiers from the North West, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and Northern Cape used the platform to outline progress made in stabilising municipalities, addressing illegal mining and improving public infrastructure, while acknowledging persistent frustrations among communities.

Premiers of North West and Gauteng, Mr Lazarus Mokgosi and Mr Panyaza Lesufi respectively, had previously appealed directly to the President to deploy soldiers to tackle illegal mining, and the intervention has since yielded positive results.

Premier Mokgosi also highlighted the impact of recent heavy rains, saying that the floods had caused significant damage to schools, roads and clinics across the province. “The heavy rains that took place in the country and this province had a devastating impact on our people, and we are assessing the damage on the ground. As soon as we know how much is needed, we will come and knock at your door Mr President to request for funds,” he said.

Addressing residents of Dr Kenneth Kaunda District and the City of Matlosana Local Municipality, Premier Mokgosi acknowledged widespread dissatisfaction with municipal services, saying that his office has heard their cries, concerns and proposed solutions. Premier Mokgosi added that the provincial government had implemented a Section 139 intervention in the City of Matlosana Local Municipality to improve administration and financial management. The focus of the intervention will be on enhancing revenue collection and to insist on a funded budget, while reducing wasteful expenditure.

Premier Lesufi praised President Ramaphosa’s illegal mining intervention, saying the deployment of soldiers had restored stability in affected communities. Soldiers have resolved the problem of illegal mining in Gauteng, and order has been restored, the Premier claimed.

Mr Lesufi further credited the President’s intervention in addressing Gauteng’s water challenges, noting that a 26-million-litre water tower in Brixton had recently been opened. The Gauteng premier concluded by wishing the national football team success ahead of upcoming World Cup tournament.

KwaZulu-Natal Premier, Mr Thami Ntuli, focused on local government performance and municipal stability ahead of this year’s local government elections. He said that the province has made measurable progress over the past 22 months, with the number of distressed municipalities declining from seven to two. “Stable municipalities have increased to 21. No municipality is under Section 139 intervention in KwaZulu-Natal compared to four a year ago,” he said.

Mr Ntuli added that 37 municipalities had achieved between 75% and 100% of their service delivery and budget implementation targets, while audit outcomes had also improved.

Northern Cape Premier, Mr Zamani Saul, said that the country is moving “in the right direction” under President Ramaphosa’s leadership and highlighted interventions aimed at stabilising municipalities. “We intervened decisively in our municipalities, based on our 10-point turnaround plan and we implemented section 139 intervention in Sol Plaatjie Municipality to restore governance and rebuild public confidence,” Premier Saul said.

He added that the intervention is directed at restoring municipal stability, strengthening government systems, improving infrastructure maintenance and rebuilding public confidence in municipalities.

Premier Saul also pointed to improvements in municipal infrastructure spending through the Municipal Infrastructure Grant, saying that in the 2024/25 financial year, municipalities in the province spent 87% of the allocated grant.

Justice Molafo
18 May 2026