Have Your Say: Defence Amendment Bill [B18-2017]
The Select Committee on Security and Justice invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Defence Amendment Bill [B18-2017] (National Assembly– sec 75).
The Defence Amendment Bill seeks, amongst other matters, to:
- amend the Defence Act, 2002, so as to include the Chief of Staff in the Military Command of the Defence Force;
- clarify the process regarding the implementation by the Chief of the Defence Force of the delegation of powers and assignment of duties to members by the Secretary for Defence as head and accounting officer of the Department;
- provide for the employment of the Defence Force outside the Republic;
- provide for the security vetting of contractors and service providers of the Department;
- clarify that a person does not need the consent of an employer in order to enrol as, or to remain, a member of the Reserve Force;
- regulate anew the termination of service of members of the Regular Force;
- amend the requirements for legal representation of members;
- regulate the display of military decorations, medals and insignia;
- regulate the use of military uniforms, distinctive marks and crests; and
- provide for the prohibition of access to military property or areas.
Written submissions must be received by no later than 16 November 2018.
Request for copies of the Bill, written submissions and enquiries must be directed to Mr G Dixon, Select Committee on Security and Justice, 3rd Floor, Office 133, 90 Plein Street, Cape Town, 8001 or emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 086 658 9371.
Issued by Hon. SG Mthimunye, MP, Chairperson: Select Committee on Security and Justice.