Have Your Say: Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill [B19B-2020]
Call for Written Submissions
The Select Committee on Security and Justice invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill [B19B-2020].
The Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill [B 19B-2020] seeks to:
- respect the right to privacy of an adult person to use or possess cannabis;
- regulate the use or possession of cannabis by an adult person;
- provide for an alternative manner by which to address the issue of the prohibited use, possession of, or dealing in, cannabis by children, with due regard to the best interest of the child;
- prohibit the dealing in cannabis;
- provide for the expungement of criminal records of persons convicted of possession or use of cannabis or dealing in cannabis on the basis of a presumption;
- amend provisions of certain laws; and
- provide for matters connected therewith.
Written submissions must be received by no later than 13:00 on 19 January 2024.
Request for copies of the Bill and submission of written submissions or general enquiries, must be emailed to CannabisBill19Bemail@example.com
Issued by Hon. S Shaikh, MP, Chairperson: Select Committee on Security and Justice (National Council of Provinces)