Have Your Say: The Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill [B6–2017]
Submissions and Hearings
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill [B6 – 2017]:
The purpose of the Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Amendment Bill is to:
- create offences and impose penalties which have a bearing on cybercrime;
- criminalise the distribution of data messages which is harmful and to provide for interim protection orders;
- further regulate jurisdiction in respect of cybercrimes;
- further regulate the powers to investigate cybercrimes;
- further regulate aspects relating to mutual assistance in respect of the investigation of cybercrime;
- provide for the establishment of a 24/7 Point of Contact;
- further provide for the proof of certain facts by affidavit;
- impose obligations on electronic communications service providers and financial institutions to assist in the investigation of cybercrimes and to report cybercrimes;
- provide for the establishment of structures to promote cybersecurity and capacity building;
- regulate the identification and declaration of critical information infrastructures and measures to protect critical information infrastructures;
- provide that the Executive may enter into agreements with foreign States to promote cybersecurity;
- delete and amend provisions of certain laws; and
- provide for matters connected therewith.
Submissions must be received by no later than 28 July 2017. Please indicate your interest in making a verbal presentation. Public hearings will be held in Parliament.
Submissions and enquiries must be directed to Mr V Ramaano, Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services, 3rd Floor, 90 Plein Street, Cape Town, 8000 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copies of the Bill may be obtained from Mr V Ramaano, tel: (021) 403-3820 or 083 709 8427 or www.parliament.gov.za
Issued by Hon. Dr Mathole Motshekga, MP, Chairperson: PC on Justice and Correctional Services