● respect the right to privacy of an adult person to possess cannabis plant cultivation material; to cultivate a prescribed quantity of cannabis plants; to possess a prescribed quantity of cannabis; and to smoke and consume cannabis;
● regulate the possession of cannabis plant cultivation material; the cultivation of cannabis plants; the possession of cannabis; and the smoking and consumption of cannabis by an adult person;
● protect adults and children against the harms of cannabis;
● provide for the expungement of criminal records of persons convicted of possession or use of cannabis;
● delete and amend provisions of certain laws; and
● provide for matters connected therewith.
National Council of Provinces
Sent for Assent
If you would like to read or download the latest version of the bill, please click below.
Introduced by: Minister of Justice and Correctional Services
Cannabis for Private Purposes Bill (B19-2020)
Did you know?
The Bill of Rights guarantees freedom of expression, as long as this freedom is not used as propaganda for war, incitement to violence or the advocacy of hatred based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion.