Parliament, Sunday, 18 June 2017 – The President’s reply to oral questions in the National Assembly (NA) and the policy debates on budget votes in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) headlines a packed week for Parliament this week. About 44 committees will also meet to discuss various issues.
President Jacob Zuma will on Thursday provide oral answers to Members’ questions during the National Assembly plenary sitting on Thursday at 14h00.
The NCOP is scheduled to continue its programme of policy debates on Budget Votes with Tuesday’s plenary scheduled to debate Vote 5 (Home Affairs), Vote 11 (Public Works) and Vote 35 (Transport). Wednesday’s plenary sitting is scheduled to hold policy debate on Labour (Vote 28) while the Mineral Resources (Vote 29) is provisionally scheduled for consideration. The Thursday plenary will debate Vote 36 (Water and Sanitation).
Two Bills, the Criminal Procedure Amendment Bill and the Refugees Amendment Bill, are also provisionally scheduled for consideration during the Thursday plenary of the NCOP.
The sitting is also scheduled to consider the Protected Disclosures Amendment Bill and Financial Sector Regulation Bill.
Items for committee sittings scheduled this week include:
- On Tuesday, the Standing Committee on Public Accounts will hold follow-up hearings on the irregular, fruitless and wasteful expenditure as well as payables and receivables by the Department of Water Affairs.
- The Portfolio Committee on Energy will be updated by the Department of Energy and Eskom on the signing of Power Purchase Agreements with Independent Power Producers.
- The Select Committee on Social Services will consider and finalise the Refugees Amendment Bill
- The Standing Committee on Finance will be briefed by National Treasury/South African Revenue Services on their latest quarterly reports
- On Wednesday, the Standing Committee on Appropriations will be briefed by National Treasury on the Fourth Expenditure patterns for national departments for the 2016/17 financial year.
- The Portfolio Committee on Social Development will be briefed by the Department of Social Development on the impact of the Command Centres and also get an update report by SASSA on the payment of social grants.
- The Portfolio Committee on Public Enterprises will hold discussions and preparations for the inquiry in Eskom and related matters.
- The Joint Standing Committee on the Financial Management of Parliament will, amongst others, meet to adopt reports and consider its strategic plans.
- On Thursday, only the Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry will meet to get updates on legislation and other matters related to Space.
- On Friday, the Select Committee on Finance will be briefed by the KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Treasury on their preliminary expenditure for the 2016/17 financial year
- The Standing Committee on Auditor-General will be briefed on the proposed amendments to the Public Audit Act.
For full schedule and updates on committee meetings, please click: https://www.parliament.gov.za/whatson
ISSUED BY THE PARLIAMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Enquiries: Moloto Mothapo 082 370 6930