Sunday, 10 September 2017 – Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and Ministers in the Governance Cluster will be up for questions in the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) during this last week of the third term while various committees of the National Assembly will undertake oversight visits to the provinces. About 20 committee meetings are scheduled for this closing week of the term before Members go away for two weeks of constituency work.
On Tuesday, Ministers in the Governance Cluster are scheduled to provide answers to questions for oral reply from permanent delegates to the NCOP followed by the Deputy President on Wednesday.
Consideration of Bills and deliberations on topical issues feature strongly on the business of Committees meeting this week. The scheduled Committee meetings include:
- Portfolio Committee on Basic Education will be briefed by the Department of Basic Education (DBE) on Examination Readiness 2017 (Tuesday);
- Portfolio Committee on Public Service and Administration/ Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation to be briefed as follows: a) By the National Treasury on the rationality of the budget cuts in government and its impact on service delivery; b) By the Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation on whether Government policy and mandates are adequately catered for in the budget and whether a new approach in allocation is feasible; c) By the Department of Public Service and Administration on the progress regarding the salary negotiations in the public sector;
- Portfolio Committee on Arts and Culture to be briefed by the Department of Arts and Culture on the Public Protectors’ recommendations on the SARA matter
- Portfolio Committee on Police to be briefed on the status of the implementation of the National Development Plan’s recommendations for policing (SAPS, CSP and Civil Society)
- Select Committee on Social Services is schedule to consider and finalise the Refugees Amendment Bill [B12B-2016]; and also get a briefing on the Border Management Authority Bill [B9B– 2016];
- Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs will deliberate on the Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Bill [B23-2015];
- Select Committee on Education and Recreation will be briefed by the Department of Basic Education and the Eastern Cape Department of Education on updates on the recommendations made during the 2016 Taking Parliament to the People in the Eastern Cape Province (Wednesday)
- Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry will deliberate on the Copyright Amendment Bill (Thursday)
For the full schedule of committee meetings (updated daily), please click: https://www.parliament.gov.za/whatson
ISSUED BY THE PARLIAMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA
Enquiries: Moloto Mothapo 082 370 6930