Invitation for Public Submissions: National Research Foundation (NRF) Amendment Bill [B23-2017]
The Portfolio Committee on Science and Technology invites interested people and stakeholders to submit written comments on the National Research Foundation Amendment Bill [B 23 - 2017].
The Bill seeks:
- to amend the National Research Foundation Act, 1998, so as to delete and insert certain definitions;
- to provide for the Minister to determine national policies and issue policy guidelines for implementation;
- to extend the functions, powers and duties of the Foundation;
- to empower the Minister to make regulations relating to the determination of national research facilities;
- to provide for the withdrawal of the determination or transfer of a national research facility;
- to empower the Minister to declare a research institution and its eligibility to receive funding;
- to make certain textual alterations;
- to provide for the liquidation of the Foundation;
- to delete certain inappropriate or obsolete provisions; and
- to provide for matters connected therewith.
Enquiries, as well as written submissions, can be directed to Ms. Shanaaz Isaacs and be addressed to the Portfolio Committee on Science and Technology, 3rd floor, W/S 3/130, 90 Plein Street, Cape Town 8001, or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to the written comments, please indicate your interest in making a verbal presentation to the Committee.
The closing date for submissions is 16 February 2018.
Copies of the Bill can be obtained from Shanaaz Isaacs on tel: 021-403 3763, cell: 083 709 8536 or www.parliament.gov.za.
Issued by Ms LM Maseko, MP, Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Science and Technology.