Have Your Say: The Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill [B9 – 2018]
The Portfolio Committee on Justice and Correctional Services invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill [B9 – 2018]:
The purpose of Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill is to:
- Give effect to the Republic’s obligations in terms of the Constitution and international human rights instruments concerning racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, in accordance with international law obligations;
- Provide for the offence of hate crime and the offence of hate speech and the prosecution of persons who commit those offences;
- Provide for appropriate sentences that may be imposed on persons who commit hate crime and hate speech offences;
- Provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
- Provide for the reporting on the implementation, application and administration of this Act;
- Effect consequential amendments to certain Acts of Parliament; and
- Provide for matters connected therewith.
Submissions must be received by no later than 1 October 2021. Please indicate your interest in making a verbal presentation.
Submissions and enquiries must be directed to Mr V Ramaano: Hatecrimes@parliament.gov.za.
Copies of the Bill may be obtained from Mr V Ramaano, tel: (021) 403-3820 or 083 709 8427 or www.parliament.gov.za
Issued by Hon. Mr BG Magwanishe, MP, Chairperson: PC on Justice and Correctional Services