Invitation to Submit Written Comments on the Copyright Amendment Bill [B13-2017]
The Portfolio Committee on Trade and Industry invites interested individuals and stakeholders to submit written comments on the Copyright Amendment Bill [B13-2017]
The purpose of the Bill is:
- To amend the Copyright Act, 1978, so as to define certain words and expressions;
- To allow for the reproduction of copyright work;
- To provide for the protection of copyright in artistic work;
- To provide for the accreditation and registration of Collecting Societies;
- To provide for the procedure for settlement of royalties disputes;
- To allow fair use of copyright work;
- To provide for access to copyright works by persons with disabilities;
- To provide for the protection of authorship of orphan works by the State;
- To provide for the establishment of the Intellectual Property Tribunal;
- To provide for the appointment of members of the Intellectual Property Tribunal;
- To provide for the powers and functions of the Intellectual Property Tribunal;
- To provide for prohibited conduct in respect of technological protection measures;
- To provide for prohibited conduct in respect of copyright management information;
- To provide for management of digital rights;
- To provide for certain new offences; and
- To provide for matters connected therewith.
Interested individuals and groups wishing to comment are kindly requested to forward written submissions to the Committee by no later than Friday, 30 June 2017.
Public hearings will be scheduled during August 2017.
Members of the public and stakeholders, who wish to obtain copies of the legislation, may contact the nearest Government Printers or contact the Committee Secretary on the contact numbers indicated below:
All correspondence should be addressed to Ms J Fubbs, Chairperson: PC on Trade and Industry and marked for the attention of Mr A Hermans, PO Box 15, Parliament, Cape Town, 8000. Submissions should be forwarded to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries may be directed to Mr A Hermans at (021) 403-3776, fax no: 0866527753 or via e-mail: email@example.com
Issued by: Ms J Fubbs, Chairperson: Portfolio Committee of Trade and Industry.