Have Your Say: Child Justice Amendment Bill [B 32b-2018] (National Assembly– Sec 75)
The Select Committee on Security and Justice invites stakeholders and interested persons to submit written submissions on the Child Justice Amendment Bill [B 32B-2018] (National Assembly– sec 75).
The Child Justice Amendment Bill seeks, amongst other matters, to:
- amend the Child Justice Act, 2008, so as to amend a definition;
- further regulate the minimum age of criminal capacity;
- further regulate the provisions relating to the decision to prosecute a child who is 12 years or older but under the age of 14 years;
- further regulate the proof of criminal capacity;
- further regulate the assessment report by the probation officer;
- further regulate the factors to be considered by a prosecutor when diverting a matter before a preliminary inquiry;
- further regulate the factors to be considered by an inquiry magistrate when diverting a matter at a preliminary inquiry;
- further regulate the orders that may be made at the preliminary inquiry;
- amend wording in order to facilitate the interpretation of a phrase; and
- further regulate the factors to be considered by a judicial officer when diverting a matter in a child justice court; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
Written submissions must be received by no later than 1 March 2019.
Request for copies of the Bill, written submissions and enquiries must be directed to Mr G Dixon, Select Committee on Security and Justice, 3rd Floor, Office 133, 90 Plein Street, Cape Town, 8001 or emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 086 658 9371.
Issued by Hon. SG Mthimunye, MP, Chairperson: Select Committee on Security and Justice.