Programme I Speeches & Presentations I Press Release I Profiles I Selected Reading I Southafrica.info
The 2012 International Consultative Seminar will take place from 14 – 16 March at Parliament in the Good Hope Chamber. The seminar is presented by the Speaker’s Forum on behalf of the South African Legislative Sector (SALS) and will focus on strengthening democracy through global collaboration of legislatures on oversight.
The objectives of the seminar are to share perspectives and strategies for effective oversight and to forge partnerships aimed at enhancing the oversight practices of Parliaments and Provincial and Regional Legislatures.
The seminar will facilitate engagement on a number of topics that relate to oversight with a view of identifying best practices in South Africa, the Southern African Development Community (SADC), the broader African continent and internationally, for implementation for SALS and its partners. The seminar will seek to unravel some of the intricacies of the complex and wide oversight subject matter.
The topics that will be addressed include:
- Approaches to oversight in Parliaments and Provincial and Regional Legislatures.
- The state of oversight in Parliament and Provincial or Regional Legislatures: Quality, capacity drivers and hindrances, including issues pertaining to public finance.
- Facilitation of effective public involvement in oversight processes of Parliaments and Provincial or Regional Legislatures.
- The role of Constitutional Institutions Supporting Democracy (ISDs) in facilitating effective and proactive oversight over the executive.
- Proposals on collaboration with Parliament and Provincial Legislatures.
- Independent analysis and recommendations on the way forward in terms of legislative oversight.
The output of the seminar is expected to contain recommendations on each of the topics of the seminar. An operational plan will be developed to implement and track the implementation of the resolutions of the seminar. The proceedings of the seminar will be published.